Wednesday, November 16, 2011

reiki......

The moment I am writing this I am watchting Panormitis who fell asleep during the reiki I gave him. He is still on the massage table in .....dreamland? Wonder so many times a day, what is going on in his head, what is it that makes us function and at the same time can break us?? Somewhere I read that the brain is the most complicated existence in the universe..... I believe it! Although it sounds strange, but to experience this is like a rich lesson in my life. Ofcourse you wouldn't wish for anyone to experience this in his life, but once in it, one better takes out the most of it!!! It just amazing realizing so intensively that each little movement we make (conscious or unconscious ) from blinking our eyes till breathing, from walking till parachute jumping, ( something Panormitis did as well in his life ,)  from how we place our tongue in our mouth in order to pronounce a word, is coming from the brain. How we produce tears, a smile, how we sense that wonderful feeling of falling in love,  how we sense pain, sadness or happiness.  ... amazing right? The brains are the center from which the functioning of our body is regulated.  But also our emotions are related to the functioning of the brains.
The number of nerve cells in humans is estimated at 1,000,000,000,000 (trillion), not all are used. If we miss some of them, this does not lead to consequences for daily functioning.But if whole parts of the brain is damaged by a tumor, then slowly all the functions will fail. Panormitis tumor is now extended to both sides of his front brain, which brings changes in his behavior.
He is not spontaneous anymore and reacts very slowly, showing little or no emotion and is very passive. His speech is very difficult to understand, as he is confusing the words, (afasia) he does not know anymore how to act ( apraxia) . A great comfort in this situation is that he does not know himself, he has no insight into his illness, ( although some moments I think he still does, but then forgets immediately)  but it makes it ever so difficult for the people next to him ,dealing with this behavior changes. Each day I look at pictures of him from "before" and that keeps me going, I suppose. For me he is still  Panormitis, changed yes, but still the love of my life. Many times I can make sense out of what he is trying to say, and I am grateful for that.


Anyhow, enough for today....

Vasillis left this morning, back to Luxembourg. It was good for all of us seeing him here with his brother l!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

test